Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Weekend Getaway

A couple of weeks ago (I can't believe it's already been that long!) we decided to take a mini trip to Albuquerque, NM to visit their zoo, botanic gardens and aquarium. It's four hours away from here and it just seemed like a quick little getaway for the weekend.

We really enjoyed the road trip, we packed snacks galore for Elliot, a couple of sandwiches for Jack and I and headed out. I also packed a couple of books and toys for Elliot to be entertained along the way and we decided to forward face his seat so that he could see us! I completely believe in the two-year rule but I knew he would be okay and that he was ready. I didn't like seeing his legs being squished in the rear facing position and so we made the conscious decision to switch him.

It was the very first time the day of the trip and he wasn't so sure at first. He kept telling us "no, no" when we put him in but once we were all packed in the car and started heading out, he saw that his view was different and so much better! He loved it. He was such a good sport and was really good on this trip. He had his moments where he wanted a different snack other than the hundred other ones I packed but other than that, we stopped a couple of times to walk with him for a while and to stretch our legs.

We sang the ABC's, said our numbers, sang and listened to music (we were joking about me being like the girl in The Heartbreak Kid), talked and it was so much fun! It was good to have some quiet time when Elliot napped to talk and play games with Jack. Nothing like a long stretch of road with nothing ahead to gather our thoughts and regain our strength. (Clueless fans!)



Note: I must say that we bought this car seat (I think it's Evenflo) to put in my car and Jack kept the Britax and it is so much more comfier than the Britax and we paid half the price! I love how easy it is to tighten or loosen the harness without doing back flips trying to figure it out. We love it!



I think we picked the perfect time to go since the weather was really nice and gosh we went right in the middle of the trees changing color. It was such a beautiful sight I wish I would've taken more pics!




Fiiiiiish! (And drool) :)


It was so dark in there but these creatures amaze me! I couldn't stop looking at them. They were so peaceful.









I think it's safe to say he loved the zebras. He did not want to leave! I think he could have stayed there all day if we let him.


Actually, feeding the ducks was his absolute favorite. I had to hold him back from jumping in the water with them!



We ordered room service every night at the hotel and the food was so freaking good. The hotel was hosting a group and conference from Amnesty International and it was so cool to see so many people coming together! We got in the pool, walked around, went to happy hour with Elliot (other parents had their kids there, don't judge! ha!) and of course he was walking around saying hi to everyone and even stopped to talk to two young guys who said "he was the bomb" ha!


It was such a nice little getaway that we are already planning our next one after the holidays! It's nice to be able to take off for a weekend when we have so many places that are close enough to take a toddler without regretting it halfway there. We were really impressed with Elliot! ;) 

Have a great rest of the week!

3 comments:

  1. That zoo looked amazing! The jellyfish, love them! We just switched Gia into a new carseat too. It's always a struggle for us, lol. The food did look really good too, I love any prawn dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Car seats are so freaking expensive. I'm ashamed to say how long we kept Brylee in her infant one because we paid so much (and then finding a toddler one...don't get me started!) we had a mini vacation like this a few months ago too! So much fun when the kids are finally old enough to get it!

    Http://tisourlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! Your boys are so handsome. Lucky mama!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...