Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Camping Trip

This past weekend, I took Friday off to take advantage of the three day weekend we had for the 4th of July. I stayed home with Elliot and Jack had to work, but I really didn't want to stay home all weekend. I wanted to take advantage of the days with my family we had ahead.

As soon as Jack got home from work I told him we should do something like going camping, since we have everything needed from Jack's camping days with his friends.

Off we went Saturday morning! It was such a fun adventure. We had never been camping together, therefore, Elliot had never been camping and he had so much fun roughing it up in the wild! :)

On the way there he kept asking where were we going. I explained a million times but I don't think he could grasp the concept yet, pictures and all. I packed him snacks and a couple of surprise toys to keep him occupied but he did so good and never once complained.


We found the perfect little spot to set up our tent and chairs right by the mountain and we swear we heard a bear in the middle of the night, which was terrifying since we were in bear country! It was also really cold at night and Elliot woke up a couple of times saying he wanted to go home, we knew we made the right choice by only staying one night. Easing him into this camping thing slowly! The next day we packed everything up and headed back home. The entire way Elliot kept saying he wanted to go home. I guess he's an old soul most comfortable at home, just like us!

We took him by the lake on our way out so he could see the fish and ducks. I think that was his favorite place and part of the trip. He didn't want to leave and I can't blame him!

Three things to take away if you're planning on camping with your kids-

1. Take an air mattress for your tent. This was life saving! Most importantly, take an electric pump for your mattress and inflate it inside the tent. Getting it inside after was a B. 

2. Count the amount of nights you're staying and double or triple that in outfits for the kids. I took three pants and two shorts plus two jackets and four pairs of socks for Elliot for ONE night. Jack looked at me like I was crazy when I was packing but we ended up using pretty much all his clothes. Lot's of blankets too!

3. Let your kids explore and get dirty. At first I kept telling Elliot "don't go here, don't do that!" till Jack told me I needed to let him be. He was so right! Elliot just wanted to be a kid and he loved it. We let him do just that, hence the use of all his clothes. 

Being six months pregnant wasn't easy, but we made the most of it and had such a nice time. The place is beautiful and so calming and relaxing. We had the most perfect weather for a fire and Smore's. I had never had one before and I wanted to make it a point to try one. They weren't my favorite as they are too sweet for me but they were pretty good!

We then had a small celebration for Independence Day with yummy food on Monday. This couldn't have been a better weekend. 

We are already planning our next trip. I hope you are having a great week!

4 comments:

  1. this sound like an amazing little getaway and i love that it was short and sweet! i hate long vacations, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I kinda do too! There's nothing like being home!

      Delete
  2. Camping with littles can be a lot of fun, but man it can also be a challenge! Fortunately you had awesome weather! That makes all the difference LOL! And S'mores are always a winner!

    xo, Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is challenging!! And yes, weather was amazing! :)

      Delete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...