Thursday, May 2, 2013

Button's Birth.

This is the part that gets a little crazy. Well a lot crazy. His birth story will forever haunt me but amaze me and excite me at the same time every time I talk about it and probably will for the rest of my life. It will be a good story to tell Elliot and his kids (in the hundred years it will take to get there), but trust me, it's a story.

Let me backtrack a little bit to our house hunting days...

I mentioned that I was pregnant when we started looking for a house, we actually started right after we found out I was expecting because our goal was to be completely moved in to a new home before the baby came (ha, very funny). We looked and looked and the months kept going by as I kept getting bigger and bigger. We looked at a lot of houses and liked some but none were a place we could eventually call home. They just didn't work for us, some had beautiful backyards but were tiny on the inside, some were huge on the inside and just what we wanted but the backyards sucked. We wanted it to be just perfect although we knew there was no such thing, but we kept looking anyways. House hunting while pregnant is a freaking challenge. Crazy hot days, a big belly, hunger, walking up and down are sooo not a good combination. Mix them up and you get an unhappy, grumpy, very hungry me. We had originally put in an offer for a beautiful home but lost it to a higher bidder. We were bummed but knew it had happened for a reason. 

One day while looking on the internet (like I'd done a thousand times before only to be disappointed) I saw a house that caught my attention. We went to look at it with our realtor and I knew we had finally found our home the moment I walked in. It was in a beautiful neighborhood, the only problem was that it was a foreclosure and needed TONS of work. When I say tons I really mean tons. New floors, new paint, new fixtures, new faucets, new sink, new everything. BUT, it was a beautiful house, awesome layout, big front and backyard, just what we wanted. So we thought about all the work we would have to put into it and with me carrying a child, there wasn't much I would be able to help with. My husband was very hesitant at first (he listened to everyone who didn't like the house) and really thought about it. For me, it was a project in which I saw enormous amounts of potential, and really, I had the entire house already designed and finished in my head. I convinced him and we took the plunge.

We had started packing as soon as the paperwork began and although we didn't have much (or so we thought!) we were really surprised at how much junk we had accumulated over the course of just two years. You could almost call us hoarders! I mean I have to consider the fact that my baby shower took place during this time and I had a a lot of stuff that we had to take to our apartment. I had diaper boxes almost up to the ceiling plus all our stuff in boxes. Even though I was tired as shit, every day we packed was so exciting to be putting our belongings into boxes that would be soon in a home of our very own. No more rent, no more dealing with annoying neighbors, no more walking up stairs and get winded getting to the door.

Before (see the ugly carpet?) 

 During remodel

Almost there!

Final Product (living & dining room
it still needs work!).
The house being a foreclosure meant that we had to deal with the bank. Now THAT sucked big time. They put us through hell and back but we knew we needed this house so as hard as it was we went along with it. Our patience paid off and we got the house! The real work was just beginning.

The very first thing we did was paint (by "we" I mean Jack and family while I sat and sipped on hot chocolate while watching paint dry), we hated I mean hated the colors the previous owners had. Next were the floors and carpet. It started feeling like a home after these minor changes and Jack started seeing what I had been thinking and planning in my head all along. We hired some people to do some of the bigger stuff but mostly it was my amazing family and my husband that did it all.

Then after about a month it was move-in day! We had the moving truck, I went to the house early since the people we hired still had a few things to finish. I hired a lady to clean the house and recruited friends and family to help Jack load everything from the apartment to the house. Everyone was sooo helpful! They moved everything in only a couple of hours and now we had a garage full of boxes but were ecstatic about finally spending the night in our home...right? Wrong. The next day we still had to go back to the apartment to clean it and turn the keys in. Gosh that day couldn't come fast enough. We picked my sister up so she could help us (I still couldn't do much), got some burritos and headed out. I had been getting contractions that same morning but had read that sometimes women take a couple of days before the "real" contractions begin so I thought I would be ok, but started timing them anyway. They were 20-30 mins apart and I still paid little attention (I had no clue how this whole going-into-labor thing worked!). I was cleaning and going through a contraction, cleaning some more and going through another contraction until I told Jack and my sister that I had had enough and was ready to call it quits so I went to my car to wait for them. The contractions started getting closer together and I still didn't pay much attention to what my body was trying to tell me (duh!!) and kept going. Finally they were all done and we headed back home. Well as soon as I got home I thought "nope, this is really it" and now every time I went through a contraction, the pain was so intense that I started crying. It was time.

I wanted to take a shower before we went to the hospital since I always pictured myself doing my hair and makeup to look nice for the baby (and pictures) and at that point a shower, no makeup and wet hair was more than enough for me. Going through contractions in the shower was hard! Jack would hold my hand through every single one of them telling me everything would be ok, that I would be ok. After my shower, we headed for the hospital, at this point, my contractions were about five minutes apart and the pain was so intense I was crying at each and everyone of them. Jack was literally hauling ass on the freeway and running red lights (something he never does). He was scared for me because I've never been in so much pain. It was out of a movie. Once there, Jack went inside to get me a wheelchair and he was informed that they didn't have any (what???), I had to walk myself up the elevator and down to Labor & Delivery. When we got to the front desk (me being in between contractions) Jack told the nurse I was in labor and she, very patiently, told me I needed to fill out some paperwork. Was she kidding?? Then a contraction came and I leaned on the counter and started bawling while trying to answer her questions. I guess that woke her up and they immediately put me in a room, told me to get into a gown and a swarm of nurses came in, hooked me up to an IV, asked me a million questions, told me sign a million papers, all while I was crying in pain screaming for them to give me something for it, but was told they couldn't until the doctor came in. I had to be hooked up to oxygen since I was going out of control with each contraction (hello? they're painful as shit!!) and Elliot's heart rate would go down every time. I was shaking soo bad that my mom, my sister and of course Jack were so worried about me. I couldn't stop! I just remember being so cold but was later told that the shaking was from the pain! 

Finally my doctor came in (didn't even take him long but for me it was an eternity!) and after taking one look at me and the baby's heart rate, told me I would need to have an emergency c-section because we couldn't risk my baby not getting enough oxygen and his heart rate going down every time. I honestly didn't care, I wanted my baby to be out and healthy. They gave me a shot to extend the time between the contractions just to be able to get me out of there (thank you!!).

I was wheeled to the OR where they prepared me by giving me a spinal tap, prepping Jack with a gown and laying me down on the table with my belly exposed and arms to the sides. The spinal tap kicked in almost immediately and I was in heaven. After this everything was kind of a blur. Me feeling so good and relaxed, Jack talking in my ear (don't remember) the anesthetist asking me questions (don't remember) and the doc asking me if it hurt when he pinched me to which I said yes, they gave me more drugs and asked me again. I said yes again but at that point I must have been so out of it because the doc had already cut me open and I didn't feel a thing. No pressure, no tugging, nothing. My baby was out and not breathing. Thank God I couldn't see anything cause although I was out of it I know I would've freaked out. I know Jack did. Imagine seeing your baby being born and not breathing. Jack tells me Elliot was blue and limp and they had to intubate him right away. While he was in my belly and me having these crazy contractions, I stressed him out so much that he swallowed meconium (his very first poop). My poor baby! The nurses there were soooo great though and so fast. They were wheeling him out straight to the NICU and Jack says I turned to see him and said "aww" then off they went.


They took me to a general recovery room to let my anesthesia wear off and took me to my private room once I felt my legs again. That is the weirdest feeling. You know your legs are there but can't feel a thing. Anyway, once in the room and felt a little better, Jack got a wheelchair and took me to the NICU to see Elliot. It's crazy to think that to see my baby I had to scrub up and wear a gown to be able to go in. When I saw him it was love at first sight. I thought "wow, this tiny thing came from inside of me, how is that possible?!" I just loved him sooo much! It was an overwhelming feeling for Jack and I. Seeing him hooked up to machines and tubes everywhere was scary but the nurses there reassured us that he was completely fine. And he was.

He weighed 5lb 7oz and was tiny but so beautiful and perfect. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him. I wanted to hold him and kiss him and tell him he was ok, but I couldn't and that was so heartbreaking, but I knew he would be fine. I spent three days in the hospital and was dismissed and as much as I wanted to take my baby with me he couldn't go home yet. He stayed for a week and I felt so empty at home. No belly and no baby. We went to pick him up that Friday only to be told that they had to keep him an extra day for observation. We went back the next day and after about an hour we were able to bring him home!! I had an outfit planned for him and that went out the window that day. All I wanted was to hold my baby and have him with me.  I truly and honestly could not have done this without Jack by my side. He is the most amazing man and husband and was so sweet and calming the entire time even if he was just as scared as I was. He remained strong for the both of us and I love him so much for that!

I'm aaaall good now mama!
Having him home was scary but the most rewarding feeling in the world! He was all ours.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story! I tried to comment back but you are a no-reply comment blogger (:

    I'll add this to the stats for next week!

    Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me fix that, I never set it up that way! Thank you for letting me know. :)

      Delete
  2. I had to have an emergency c/s too! and I went into labor and was in labor with Max for 13 hours before have it! So glad Elliot was ok! Thanks for sharing friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...