Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Taco Bowl Night.

Working all day and coming home to make dinner is not something I jump through hoops over excitement. I'm exhausted and still have a thousand other things to do. I know I've said before that I am always in search of easy, ingredient friendly, healthy meals for my family and something I can whip up in thirty to forty-five minutes. Eating out really isn't an option for us unless we have something we need to take care of that day and we pick something up on the way home.

Now I have to turn into Flash Woman since Elliot is walking and goes everywhere and gets into everything. Literally. Just the other day I went into my closet for a good second to grab a sweater and by the time I peeked my head out to check on him, he had his hands in the toilet bowl playing with the water (gross!) and was slowly lifting his hand up to his mouth to lick it, he does that when I give him a bath so I immediately saw that coming. I dropped whatever I had in my hand, ran like a madwoman, picked him up and washed his hands about a million times. Now we always keep the lid down or the bathroom door closed altogether. No access and peace of mind. Lesson learned.

This taco bowl recipe is the easiest in the world and I can get it done in about thirty minutes. That's about how long I can keep this boy entertained somehow by bribing him with fruit, crackers, a smoothie or cucumber, his new favorite. It takes him about 1.7 seconds to finish whatever I give to him so I have to resort to healthier alternatives although he does get the occasional banana or sweet potato cookie.

I also try to make meals that I know I can feed Elliot or make him a separate meal with almost the same ingredients. This is perfect because I cook the ground turkey and before seasoning it I separate a little batch and mix it with veggies for him. I cook the veggies while I'm cooking the meat that way it's all done and ready to go when they're both ready and I can easily, and quietly, finish dinner for Jack and I while Elliot eats his. I then give him some fruit for dessert while we eat dinner.

Here's how I prepare them.

I use:

Taco bowls - You can get these pretty much anywhere.
Ground turkey- One pack is enough for four since I prepare lunches for the next day.
Lettuce- Finely cut.
Black olives- Yum.
Shredded cheese- Any kind you like.
Beans- We switch this up, I usually cook my own beans in my pressure cooker but we sometimes buy black beans or mild chili beans.
Sour cream- We don't always use this as we try to keep it healthy but a dollop never hurt anyone :)
Salsa- I make my own if I have the time. I toast some jalapeƱos, a clove of garlic, a little bit of onion and a tomato on a pan with a little olive oil, once they're nicely toasted I throw them in the blender with a tiny bit of water and salt. You're done.
You can pretty much add any veggie you want, you can add avocado or if you make guacamole!



To season the ground turkey I use paprika, cayenne pepper, pepper, oregano and garlic powder very freely. No need for salt, the spices are enough. It seriously tastes better than the packs of seasoning. I promise.

I also heat up the tortilla bowls in the oven for a couple of minutes. They're so much better that way.

Once everything is done, arrange them in a little assembly line and go to town! They're so good. The bowls usually come in fours so we eat one and save one for lunch. Jack always helps me out and that reduces our cooking time as well, he either helps me cook or entertains Elliot.

This one below was made with black beans and yesterday we tried them with chili beans, they're both so good!



I hope you enjoy them! They are so easy and quick and delicious!

11 comments:

  1. Those look so good! I have never used anything but seasoning packets, I'll have to try yours! Now that my babe is crawling she is sneaky sneaky as well, she may have eaten dirt from the flowers more than I care to admit;).

    Http://tisourlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tacos and love some dollops of sour cream :) I should get some shell bowls, the girls would love them!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm mmm looking good. Yeah, making dinner with a toddler is the hardest thing ever. Complicated meals? Forget about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cooking has never been so difficult (even the simple things) until Lily started walking. Reinforcements and easy/quick fixin' is definitely required! So glad I stumbled upon your blog. Consider me your newest follower! -xo

    Plumtickledpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is it with babies and the toilet! :) Yes, dinner these days is so hard. We love tacos, so these look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm! And, too funny about Elliot in the toilet bowl! It's a whole new ball game when they start crawling, standing, walking.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those taco bowls look delish! And I am totally there with ya on the whole not jumping through hoops to cook thing!!

    laughingwithliam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make the best dinners!!!! I still need to try those spring rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tacos are just what someone needs after a long day at work. A yummy snack to liven you up. That just looks so mouthwatering. Hahaha! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Shadia! All the best to your lovely family! :)

    Diane Baker @ Alejandra’s Restaurant

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...