Monday, July 14, 2014

It's Hummus!

First and foremost, thank you all so so much for the advice and sweet comments on Instagram on Elliot's rash and Facebook, blog and Instagram comments and encouragement on my Paci Battles post. I'll say it again, this is why I love this community! I love you all!

Elliot's rash is still pretty bad and we do think it is Roseola. We will see the doctor again on Wednesday and hopefully we get our questions answered. We spent the entire weekend indoors since the doc advised to keep Elliot away from other children, family and the outdoors so going out for breakfast, or anything else for that matter, wasn't an option.

Every time I make hummus, Jack and I go back to SATC2 when Samantha's menopause meds are confiscated at the airport when they get to Abu Dhabi and she eats hummus the entire time because she says it's her meds' replacement. So funny! Then Charlotte asks what she's eating when they're having breakfast and she says "It's hummus!" Hence my post title. :)

When my mom makes it, she cooks the garbanzo beans in her pressure cooker from scratch because the taste is just better but we never have time or the patience for that so for this recipe we will use canned. I usually grab a couple of canned garbanzo beans from the Middle Eastern store but we found that Goya's are really good as well as the Middle Eastern store is all the way on the other side of town. ;)

You will need-

1 can of garbanzo beans
2 cloves of garlic
1 lime
2 tbsp Tahini (If you've never had it, it's a paste made from sesame seeds and olive oil)
A pinch of cumin
Salt to taste

This is the easiest hummus recipe and the original! You won't be able to beat the taste with the store bought one. Heat up the garbanzo beans in a pot along with the garlic cloves. When they start boiling, turn it off and put in blender along with all of the liquid (you need it). Add the juice of the lime, the Tahini, cumin and salt. Blend everything until it has a smooth consistency, sometimes it gets thick and the blender stops stirring it. That's when you know you got the perfect consistency! If it's a little too liquid don't worry, once your pour it on a plate it thickens after it cools down.

I add a couple of garbanzos on the top, a little cilantro and olive oil. This is how my dad made it since I was a little girl and I've tried store bought and they don't come close to the taste of this one. You can also add a little more lime if you like it that way or squeeze a little on top after you spread it on the plate. Eat it with pita bread or pita chips! It's the perfect party dip and even more perfect breakfast!



We eat our hummus accompanied with a couple of eggs and lots of fresh veggies!


Enjoy and have a great Monday! :)

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I love hummus!!! this looks so good!
    Hope Elliott gets feeling better soon. Mya has roseola when she was around a year old, and it was awful. She looked horrible, and I felt so bad for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your such an amazing cook! Ps I eat WAY too much hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks pretty tasty! I hope that Elliot feels better too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this!!!!! My neighbor is a chef and makes the best hummus homemade! It's about time I make my own;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...