Monday, September 22, 2014

A Love Story.

I was sitting in my first ever design class in college after Winter break had ended seven and a half years ago. I was twenty-two. I had no idea what to expect. It had been a crazy break. I was working part time at my dad's restaurant and going out every weekend with my friends. College life was good! I was a little heart broken after dating a guy who in turn was dating other girls at the same time he was dating me and that ended pretty quickly. At the beginning of the new semester and my first design class, men were the last thing on my mind. I was ready to go into my major with full force and so excited about what was to come. I had no idea that this would be the semester I would meet my future husband.

He walked into class wearing a green shirt and sweatpants and I thought, who is this guy? I was intrigued. He sat at the table in front of me with his back towards me and every time he turned around I would get butterflies.

When we had critiques on our designs, I noticed he was pretty darn good at what he did. He had some pretty good ideas. He also seemed kind. He wasn't one to brag and seemed really down to earth and humble. Something in me wanted to know him more.

I joked with my friends that I needed to meet his guy and one of them told me, why don't you just ask him to breakfast after class or something? Was he crazy? I couldn't do that! But I really, really wanted to. Every time class ended and I saw him walking towards the parking lot my heart raced. My friends made fun of me and kept telling me to just talk to him. I just couldn't!

It was April and the semester was rearing its end. I needed to get to know this guy. I felt it. My heart was telling me I would be friends with him and maybe it could turn into something else. In one of the classes, I sat next to him while sketching ideas. We started talking! He was kind of shy but so sweet. We talked for a bit and that was it. I'll admit I was bummed! The next class would be a new day.

He then sat next to me in the computer lab. I was thrilled! Again, my heart was racing and jumping for joy it could have come right out of my chest! We talked a bit more but once again, that was it! Was this guy ever going to ask me out? Ask for my number? There wasn't much more time left!

One day I decided I would use my birthday as an excuse. I was getting together with some friends at a bar and I wanted, I needed to invite him. I went over to a friend that sat across from him and started talking about my birthday and how I wanted my friends to go. I mustered up the courage and went to him and gave him my number! We exchanged numbers and that same day (I don't know what got into me!) I texted him to ask him if this was his number. So lame but I needed an excuse! He texted me back and after a couple of texts, he asked if he could call me. Holy shit! Yes! Of course you can! That's not how I answered, I tried to sound relaxed and said, yes. :) I was so nervous!

We talked for about two hours about anything and everything. It seemed like we had known each other for years! Turns out our values and morals were so much alike and I loved that. We talked about college, our lives, our families. He never made it to my birthday but he called to tell me he couldn't make it. The day of my birthday we had class, when I got there, he turned around to look at me and mouthed "happy birthday". I almost melted into my chair. We were inseparable after that. The semester ended and we hung out almost every day. It turns out he liked me from the beginning too but he was so shy! I don't regret making the first move one bit. :)

Things were not perfect. We had a lot of differences we had to work on. Our hearts were in the right place but our minds were crashing! It wasn't entirely a fairy tale, but who's relationship is? After a couple of years we struggled but we made it work. That second year we got engaged and a year after that we got married. Two years after that we welcomed a beautiful boy into our world!

This Thursday is our four year anniversary. Four years may not seem like a long time, and it's really not, but I feel like in these four years I've grown as a person more than ever. We are a strong couple. We get through obstacles together and we still clash and fight but it doesn't mean we love each other any less or that we will give up. It means that we have another thing to learn from each other and we compromise, we get through it. We are better people and we bring out the best in each other. We have learned that we make mistakes and to apologize when we are wrong even if our pride wants to get the best of us sometimes. We say I love you every single day even if we are mad at each other and do not go a day without texting "have a good day at work". It's the little things that really matter to us.

I cannot wait to see what this life has in store for us! Sharing this life with my husband is more than a blessing. I love him more than he will ever know.



Have a great week friends!

5 comments:

  1. Awh. I just enjoyed reading this post, Shadia. I could totally relate to the same feelings you mentioned & almost teared up reading. :) Your love story is awesome, and I love how you mention that things weren't always perfect in the beginning. Like you said, no relationship is. Its wonderful that through our other half, we are also able to grow as beings, for the better. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww I love it! So sweet! And love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing your stories!!! This is awesome!! :) Happy coming anni beautiful! You know I love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this story! so so sweet. And really such a good thing you did make that first move. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so beautiful, friend!!! I love your love story!! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...