Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hair Loss.

Happy Friday everyone! These are the days Jack and I always look forward to more than Saturdays and Sundays I think. It's always our project night and that's really our way of unwinding from our busy weeks at work. It's also a three-day weekend for us thanks to Memorial Day and we are soo looking forward to our own little celebration of it which consists of a mini cookout for just us two and some drinks. I can't wait.

You know how they say "it's the little things in life that matter"? Well it couldn't be more accurate for us since we are most excited about this weekend because of the fact that our refrigeration gets installed Saturday and we are very happy about that because we have been dealing with a hot house everyday with a sweaty baby and sweaty us. It has sucked so bad! Nothing makes it better, fan, ceiling fan, open windows, nothing. So thank God that's happening.

Today is also Button's fourth month wellness checkup and he's getting his shots so that'll make for a fun start to the weekend as well. He got fever and got fussy last time, but this time I am preparing myself (and him) by giving him Tylenol before. We will see how that goes.

So, at the beginning of my pregnancy I really looked forward to having thick, shiny, healthy hair since I heard that's just what happens during pregnancy and thanks to the prenatal vitamins. I also wanted that "glow" that everyone talked about. I did get them! I loved my hair, no matter what I did to it it was always shiny, whether I used any product or not. Remember how I talked about not having done my hair for delivery in this post? It didn't matter to me because it was still shiny then. I did also get that glow. I could see it and people would tell me. It is all true. What they don't tell you is that this doesn't last forever. At least I had no clue.

After delivering, my hair was still thick and nice, BUT, by the time Elliot turned three months I started noticing that it just wasn't the same anymore. When I brushed it, I could see some hair come off. I know that we all lose hair everyday and yes I've always known that and it's happened to me, but this was different. Then it started getting worse. Every time I ran my hands through my hair, I was left with strands hanging from my hands. Shit. Of course I Googled it right away and yup, it's some hormonal change thing that women go through post-pregnancy and although it doesn't happen to all women it sure is happening to me. I seriously walk around the house leaving hair everywhere so now when I cook I make sure my hair is up and tight so as not to give Jack a hairy dinner (gross!!!). I also read that all you can really do is just "disguise" the hair loss. I don't want to do that! I want it to stop falling out!! This should only last another month or so and I hope I don't go bald by then! Fortunately, it is completely normal and should expect to go back to my normal self. Some of the articles also mention being cautious about this because a lot of the times hair falls on the baby and forms a tourniquet on their little fingers and toes that we might not be able to see so I am always checking Elliot to make sure there is no hair on him. I'm constantly sweeping, vacuuming and checking Elliot's playpen, blankets, clothes and our bed to make sure there's none laying around  when I put him down and it's really annoying. I would show you a pic of my brush but that would just be too gross. This article here explains everything better.

If you go through this, don't freak out, or actually if you're pregnant and you're reading this thinking oh shit this is gonna happen don't run around your house screaming (if it helps then do it!). It is normal and will go away. I will let you know how I do once all this is over.

Also, if you already went through this please let me know about your experience! I would love some words of encouragement :)

I could lose all my hair for all I care as long as I get to look at this little face everyday. It is and will always be worth it and I would do it all over again.

Update-I realize this post is a little late, but I had been writing it for a while!
 

1 comment:

  1. I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me.
    female pattern baldness

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...