Monday, May 13, 2013

My First Mother's Day.

Ugh, I hate the feeling I get when Monday is right around the corner. It takes away from our Sundays big time since we use this day to prepare for the dreaded Mondays. We do laundry, prepare lunches, prepare diaper bag, breast milk pump, clothes, etc. Why do they even exist?

Anyway, regardless of all of that this weekend was one of the best! I celebrated my very first Mother's Day. Our plans were to have a cookout for the moms in our family (our very first cookout!) to celebrate them and myself. Friday after work we headed to Home Depot to buy our grill. It was a beautiful rainy day. I wish we had a lot more of those here.

We have always preferred charcoal over gas and although it's more work, the food tastes way better for some reason. It's just more fun and feels like a real cookout. Don't ask me why, it just does. So we got an inexpensive, really cool little grill, some other house stuff and headed, where else, to get the beer for the night (we needed to make putting the grill together fun!) and ordered a pizza. You just can't go wrong with those two and weekends are cheat days so we get to eat whatever we want (almost). We put Elliot to bed, armed ourselves with the the baby monitor, two beers in the freezer and unpacked the grill. It actually wasn't hard at all to put together but it was a cool activity for Jack and I to do together.

So the grill was done and the Mother's Day gifts were next!

One day while on Pinterest and reading some really cool blogs, I saw a similar idea to this one. I decided to buy some jars at Hobby Lobby and at $5 bucks each it was a steal! Then I got a bunch of goodies- a nail file, loofahs, nail polishes and this St. Ives Timeless Skin Moisturizer that I LOVE. It is about $5 a container and you might think "oh it's so cheap it doesn't work" well let me tell you, it does! I apply it every night and morning after I've cleansed my skin and it is amazing! I've noticed a huge difference on my skin, it feels softer, less lines and not dry at all. I also made a sugar scrub from scratch from a recipe I found on Pinterest (I know Pinterest freak) using brown sugar, regular sugar, olive oil and vanilla. Everyone loved them!

Saturday morning we got up early, got ready and headed to the store to buy all the stuff for the cookout! On the menu were: steaks, veggie shish kabobs, guacamole and salad. Jack made chocolate covered strawberries for the moms. I was sooo busy preparing everything I didn't get a chance to take pics of the food! It looked and tasted so good. Bummer!

 Notice Jack's spelling for Tulips (flowers I asked him to buy)
I hadn't noticed ha!

Everything came out soo good and Jack did a great job on the grill. We had a full house with family and I loved it! I did not want this day to end. We drank, we ate, we laughed and drank and ate some more. It was the best First Mother's Day ever!
Elliot thought so too.


My brother-in-law and hubby gave me beautiful cards that made me tear up when I read them!


The best present ever? Jack cleaning up after we were all done and leaving the house so clean you couldn't tell there had been kids running around, food everywhere, dirty dishes, trash, empty beer bottles...he did sooo good! He let all the moms sit at the table and talk while he did everything. Husband of the year? I think so.

Honestly, more than Mother's Day being about me, it was about my mom. She's the toughest lady I know. She's such a hard-working mom and I admire her and look up to her. She has taught us that even if life gets tough and shit happens (and trust me, it's happened in this family) you just can't give up. You recover even if it takes time then you continue and don't look back. I know sappy but it's so true. I never realized how much you sacrifice as a mom and now that I am one, I appreciate my mom so much more and it makes me realize how much she has always sacrificed for us. Ever since she was younger she has never depended on anyone and has shaped her destiny like no other. She makes things happen and doesn't wait for anyone to make them happen for her. I love that about her. She's the mother I want to be for my kids and I hope I can be half of the example she has always been to me. 

So, Sunday morning Jack brought me breakfast in bed (did I mention how awesome he is already?) and we ate while Elliot talked away. The actual day for Mother's Day we relaxed all day and didn't do a thing. We didn't have to cook since we had plenty of leftovers, we rented movies and snacked all day. This weekend was the best I've had in a long time.


Elliot and I hope all the beautiful mamas had a great day!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...