Thursday, September 12, 2013

Good Read-ance.

It's been raining all day long for the past three days here in Texas. How crazy is that? This is a very rare occurrence and I feel like we need to make the most of it! It is so nice. Although being stuck in an office all day isn't a good way of enjoying it, I am sipping on some green tea while going through emails and starting my work.

This rain and my tea make me think of being at home in bed reading a really good book with the curtains drawn and the blinds open looking outside listening to the rain with a baby playing by your side. Can you picture that? I know I can.

With Fall almost here, I'm already looking forward to good books to read in bed, although I already do that, but it just seems so much better when it's cold out. Good read-ance to this hot weather! I hope we finally start heading into cooler days because I am over the sun beating down on us.

Jack and I (before I had Elliot) would always and I mean always go to bed and read for a little bit. He's also an avid reader but he is more into the mystery/horror/suspense kind of genre. He's a huge fan of Stephen King and I like him as well, but I would just rather watch the movies (ha!). I did read Dolores Clairborne (a suggestion he made) and I absolutely loved it. It's a great book that I didn't include in this mix but definitely a good one to pick up. I'm more of the good, real life plot, girly, makes you laugh and cry kind of books and all these are great authors in that genre.

I am always on the lookout for a good book and what I've found (as a graphic designer) is that most of the time, if a book has a good cover then it's more than likely a good read, it attracts me to it and you know they spent time planning for it. If they invested in that then it means it must be good right? I usually skim through the summary on the flap and it has to catch my attention right away. If it doesn't, I put it back and move on. My favorite ones are always the ones that seems to have a good, original plot. If they're too cliché, or too predictable then I definitely put it back. I also buy two or three at a time because sometimes I start reading a book and decide it would be better for another time and grab the next one to read. I don't know what it is, but I guess it depends on my reading mood.


If there is a book that I really enjoy, I try to stick to that author to read a couple more of theirs. Kristin Hannah is a great author. Her books are so easy to read and her content is deep. Emily Giffin is one of my favorites. I've read all of her books and her next one is in the works, I can't wait. There's a movie out for Something Borrowed and I haven't watched it! Because you know what they say, the book is always better than the movie (Harry Potter may be an exception since the movies are awesome). If you've never read one of hers go buy one right now! Or as I do, go to Barnes & Noble and head straight to the clearance section. I've found most of my favorite ones there (though I did order all her books online) or head to Amazon and you should be able to find a good deal on them. I'm currently reading The Island by Elin Hilderbrand and I'm liking it so far. I guarantee you all of these are page-turners. I have a lot more suggestions but I'll write a post on those later and for now, I'll leave you with these as some of my favorites. Some of these I guarantee will have you wanting to read the entire thing in one sitting. Now go get yourself some beer tea and start reading!


Happy almost Friday!

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right? It's been crazy and it's STILL raining! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Kristin Hannah! She is my favorite. Night Road and Winter Garden are among her best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! I didn't want them to end! I think Firefly will be my next one.

      Delete
  3. Again with these pictures!!! And I'm not much of a reader for pleasure, but maybe ill give it another try!?

    Mamaplusmini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you! Trust me, pick up any of these books and you won't be able to put them down! I promise! :)

      Delete
  4. I've read The Island...it was good. I'm getting ready to start JK Rowling's new book The Cookoo's Calling. So excited. I do miss Harry Potter though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!! Yeah I haven't gotten far enough yet with. With a baby it's hard! I do too! I'm going to look into that one! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I love to read and have read several of these but not all of them! I like Emily Giffin, too, and had an opportunity to meet her once in person (she's very nice!). I just finished The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton and highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they so good? I have a couple more great ones! That's soo cool I would love to meet her! She seems so down to earth. I saw a pic of you guys that Chanel Van Reenen posted on IG and she gave me the name of the book! I'm definitely going to read it :)

      Delete
  6. Ohh I've been meaning to read Emily Griffin, or Kristin Hannah. Thanks for the suggestions. I will put them on my goodreads right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...