Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Perfect Winter Veggie & Meatball Soup.

With the colder days ahead of us and finally getting highs in the 70's (yes, that's cooler weather for us) I can't help but start thinking about some Winter recipes for soups. They're so comforting and delicious and what's better than throwing everything into a pot and letting it cook? This means more time with my little and hubby!

This recipe is my mom's and came out just like hers! I always tell her how no matter how much I try to copy all her steps, my cooking is never the same as hers, but this one was a success! It's light, easy to make, filling, healthy and so so good!


You'll need:

Ground turkey (1 pack feeds two and a half with leftovers for lunch-triple win)
Unseasoned bread crumbs
Broccoli
Carrot
Celery
Red potatoes (or regular if you want)
Cilantro
Tomato bouillon
Salt
Pepper
Garlic (minced)

To make the meatballs, put the ground turkey, salt, pepper, garlic and a little bit (about two tablespoons) of the bread crumbs in a bowl. Mix everything by hand and roll the meatballs. Start a pot with water and bring to a boil then add the meatballs. The meatballs give the soup a delicious flavor. When meatballs are about done, throw in potatoes (don't peel them, the skin is one of the best parts), carrot and celery. I wait until everything is almost done then throw in the broccoli, otherwise it overcooks and gets way too soft for my taste. Besides it looses its color! The red potatoes also cook rather quickly so be careful, you don't want mush in your soup. Add a little bit of the tomato bouillon and a little more salt if needed. Let it simmer until broccoli is a little bit cooked but still bright green. I added the cilantro last for flavor and also used some as garnish. It honestly doesn't need a lot of seasoning because all the veggies and the meatballs add a ton of flavor. Serve and enjoy!

It took me about half an hour of prep-time (Jack made the meatballs) and about 30-40 minutes of cooking time.

This is also a win because I cooked a meatball and veggies in a separate pot for Elliot since I didn't add any salt or spices to his, but the meatball already makes the soup taste so good! I took the veggies and meatball out when they were done, cut them super small, threw them back in the soup and he loved it! This saved me a ton of time (and ideas) to make him his own little meal. He's now eating what we eat and it's a great time saver.

Happy Hump Day!



3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna for sure try this!! I only cook with ground turkey and I love soups this time of year:) Thanks!!
    Boy, oh {mamas} boys Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks sooo good! Im gonna try it out!!! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...