Monday, February 24, 2014

My Family.

This weekend we were all cooped up in our home because Elliot wasn't feeling good. Well, except for Saturday morning since we needed to run some errands but as soon as we got back home we got into comfy clothes, sweats for Jack and leggings for me (of course) and vegged out the rest of the day. I had planned to attend a pampered chef party with my best friend on Sunday but Elliot wasn't feeling good and I just couldn't leave him and he didn't want to leave me which made me feel good but also bad because I knew he was miserable.

This weekend I really realized the importance of my little family, not that I didn't know that before, but being together the entire weekend without going outside was the best thing in the whole world. Take-out, adult drinks, and TV were our go-to's along with meds for Elliot.

It was also a weekend of tests, family tests. You know when you are so tired, your kid is crying because he's feeling like shit and finally falls asleep and you feel a moment of Heaven. This happened Friday night. Being a parent is so hard and trying sometimes! I was laying down with Elliot sleeping next to me, and Jack came in and sat with me, we started talking about the vacation that we have been wanting to take the minute I found out I was pregnant and were planning for this year. It turned into a complete argument that I did not want to have and I found myself yelling, quietly, at Jack for no real reason. Like ugly talking to him. He walked out of the room upset as I lay there fuming, for a good five minutes, then I realized what am I doing? This argument had zero reason for becoming well, an argument. I am not that person, yeah of course we fight over other issues, but the way I was with him that night was ugly. I saw myself and felt embarrassed that I let myself talk to him that way. I got up and went into the kitchen to apologize.

I think over the course of not only our marriage, but our relationship, we have learned, the hard way, that we need to pick and choose our battles, not every single thing we disagree on needs to be talked about or argued about. There are things that we will always and I mean always, disagree on and we have learned to let those go. So Friday night, as things were getting heated (not that kind of heat), I stopped, I said I didn't want to talk about it anymore and that was that. Then I apologized. Then he apologized. And all was good in our world again. We continued our night as if nothing had happened and didn't bring it up again.

Then Sunday, my mother-in-law came over and I honestly can't even remember how it started but Jack and I started on a subject we know we are always going to disagree on, right in front of my mother-in-law and once again we stopped right then and there. As simple as that, and didn't bring it up again. For one, I didn't want to do that in front of my MIL and two, it was going to take us directly to nowhere.

I think that we have been so tired or as Jack puts it, we haven't slept in thirteen months (ha, I agree) and sometimes we let little things get the best of us, or at any other given moment for that matter.

Where I am trying to get at is that before my MIL left, she told me, out of the blue, what a good man I have in my hands, what a good father he is, good husband, a hardworking man, etc. and I completely agreed with her then she looked at Jack and said how he has a good woman, a good mother and wife, I could have cried, she kissed me on the cheek and reminded us of the good life that we have. And we do. We really do. She also told me, this is forever, you and him, you guys are forever, with this beautiful boy you have. How right is she! In the three years of marriage that Jack and I have under our belts which could be newlywed years still, we have fought, cried, laughed, wanted to kill each other and loved each other like no other. I don't think longevity has anything to do with it, but the quality is what matters to me. I think we are going to go through trials and tribulations no matter how long you've been married and can happen at any stage of the marriage.

Adding Elliot to this whole thing was truly a blessing and we still continue to do and go through all those things but we learn every single day how to be better with each other, how to be better parents, better people in general. Our marriage isn't perfect and will never be and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm so glad Jack and Elliot picked me to be part of their lives. 

We didn't need my MIL to remind us, but she was there for a reason. I love my little family and what's become of it, fights and all. As my MIL walked out she told Elliot that now he needs a little sister as Jack and I laughed and looked at each other then looked at her like "no way, we are not doing this again". Of course we are but I think we first need to catch up a little bit on our thirteen months lack of sleep. ;)


Have a great Monday! :)

8 comments:

  1. What a SWEET mother-in-law you have. A good reminder sometimes is ALWAYS nice! :) And love that family pic!

    wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1. You are absolutely GORGEOUS. #2. Elliot looks so much like you! #3. Everything about this post. Seriously-I needed to read this. It's so nice to know that other people fight over stupid things too. We get in some of the *dumbest* fights, and it's so discouraging sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you and your husband have a good healthy relationship. Its good to disagree once in a while. My husband and I butt heads sometimes but at the end of the day the love is always there, and we find humor in it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need a little reminder that we are doing good sometimes. Your mother in Law sounds like she delivered her message at the perfect time! BTW your family photos are always the sweetest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all parents go thru that & why? Bc we are pooped! Hope e is feeling better:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a nice post! "choose your battles" is the greatest advice right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is like a breath of fresh air. It's SO good to be reminded that EVERY couple has their moments. We all argue about stupid stuff. We all have those ugly moments, mostly when we are just plain exhausted! Just last night Eric and I went to bed too late. We were super sensitive to each others comments because we were so tired. At one point I literally wanted to yell at Eric and ask him what his problem was. But I just knew that I would start tearing into him...over nothing! I would make him feel like crap even though he did nothing wrong! It was just me being tired, irritable and sensitive. So I curled up to go to sleep when Eric put his arm around me and I was SO thankful that I kept my mouth shut because Eric truly didn't have a "problem" with me or else he wouldn't have cuddled up. I would have just made a mess out of nothing!
    Your MIL is so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...