Thursday, May 22, 2014

Being Fit.

It's no secret that I absolutely hate working out. I've always said that. I gained so much weight during my pregnancy due to the "I'm pregnant" excuse and ate and ate and ate everything and anything in my path! I had always eaten really healthy and this was my time to let go and eat. Wrong move. My coworkers even made fun of me and would hand me their plates after I was done with mine. Nice.

On one of my doctor's visits, he looked at my weight and told me that I couldn't gain anymore. I had to really watch what I was eating because I was gaining more than the average amount a woman my size and weight should gain. I felt so embarrassed! I swore I would be having a nine pound baby and Elliot came out weighing a mere five pounds seven ounces. Tiny baby. Darn.

Now I had all this weight I had to lose. Somehow. I heard and read that breastfeeding helped in shedding the pounds and yeah that happened for a bit then nothing. I tried to start eating really healthy again and my milk supply started going down so back to eating a balanced diet. After those four months of breastfeeding I finally thought I could start working out and eating healthy. Yeah right. I was so exhausted all the time after going back to work with a baby that still didn't sleep through the night. So that went out the window. After a whole year of wearing the same clothes because that's what fit me, turning thirty and hearing that from then on everything goes downhill as far as womanly parts (ha!), I think something in my head clicked and after looking at myself in the mirror, I knew that I'm the only one who can change the way I look. I haven't been comfortable in my own skin for a long time and it was time to do something about it instead of just complaining to Jack all the time about how unhappy I was with my body and him (very kindly and sweetly) telling me that I looked good.

I tried Insanity and liked it for about two days then gave up. It just wasn't for me. I thought that maybe someone kind of forcing me and telling me what do to step by step would work but it just didn't. Hey I tried.

We have slowly but surely started furnishing our little gym in the garage and got some weights, a treadmill, an exercise ball and some of the heavier weights for Jack. I told myself, okay, no more bullshitting yourself from now on and no more thinking that the pounds are just magically going to melt away. Trust me, I wished for that. ;)


So now I started running everyday from Sunday through Thursday and of course still eating really good and I already started seeing a difference. I also drink water like there's no tomorrow. I feel better, I look better and I even have a little more energy to keep me going. I play Jennifer Lopez's (I've always been a big fan of hers, don't judge) videos on YouTube and this really helps. I see what a banging body she has and I keep running, I encourage myself by saying "one more minute" and one more minute after that. I really enjoy running now! I put Elliot to sleep, change my clothes and head to my own personal gym (which also helped). I think the fact that before, when I had a gym membership, the fact that I had to change, look decent, and head to the gym fifteen minutes away didn't help.

Now that we moved to the other side of town the gym is literally three minutes away but that's still a hassle for me. Walking into my garage and being able to go straight to the shower after without having to leave my family for a second has helped tremendously! My sister has also been such an example and inspiration, she runs everyday no matter what! Aside from the fact that she has an amazing body and bounced back to her pre-baby weight in no time because being in shape before a baby does that to you. That's one of my goals. After my second baby I definitely do not want to go through this again. I want to be able to be one of those girls that bounces back and keeps on working out.



Having nice workout outfits and cool running shoes also helps. Maybe it's all of those workout gear commercials I've been watching but you get the point.

Jack looks at me differently now and I can tell that he is proud of me. I keep telling him that he will have a hot wife in a couple of months. I think he likes that idea. ;)

My point is, it took me forever to finally find something I enjoy doing to feel and look better (better late than never). Running, out of all things, is what I despised the most and envied all those women that do it because it's like air to them. I'm not sure if I'll ever share that feeling but for now, running is what I like doing. And I'm okay with that. Maybe one day it can turn into love.

Have a great day!!

10 comments:

  1. Shadia I am so proud of you!!! Running is addicting once you start you cant stop! Its not easy w a baby, having a gym in the garage is a great idea!! Get it girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I've been struggling to keep my motivation with getting in shape. I have an in home gym & yet I have plenty of days where I make an excuse. Thanks for motivating me to get a workout in today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gained over 50 pounds during my pregnancy. :O It's too easy to eat anything and everything in your path!!! I only lost 10 pounds having Austin, and it has taken me a full 2 years from the day I got pregnant to get back to my normal weight. Won't be making that mistake next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, your co-workers are assholes. Secondly, I'm so proud of you! And envious. I despise running, although I've always wanted to enjoy it. It's just so miserable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is awesome! You are such a strong, inspirational lady. You already are beautiful and this confidence is only going to add to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you!!! I hate running. I'm envious too. I think I almost liked it at one point...

    It is hard to get back on that horse. It is so awesome that you did it! You did it! Yay! Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gained over 50 lbs and lost all the weight in three months thanks to breastfeeding. But you're right eventually it wears off and you're no longer losing weight. I'm constantly hungry because I'm still breastfeeding and I'm digging for some motivation to lose whatever I've gained back. It's so hard!!! Good luck mama you can do it. I might just have to put a picture of jlo as my wallpaper on my phone to get on it. Haha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm proud of you too! Your Mothers Day family picture was beautiful, you look great mama! I am trying to eat healthier too, because sweets and carbs are my favorite. One of these days I'm going to follow in your footsteps and get back on the treadmill.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted a comment from my phone earlier this week and i guess something happened when I pressed submit! UGH technology!
    I am 100% with you, I need motivation.... and I was going to the gym during lunch and only using small weights and telling myself, nah.... I don't need to do 2 more reps of these, or I would rather go get lunch than work out. Thats why I decided to do Crossfit, and it has helped me physically and mentally. Props to you for keepin up with working out! It's easier for some than it is for others. and Breastfeeding only works for some people. Not me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live by walking, always have. Eat all things in moderation & walk 30 min a day:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...